Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Historic Map of the Laguna de Términos

I post below a scan of a historic map of the Laguna de Términos. Some years ago, I lived in Springfield, Virginia, near the Washington, D.C. Beltway. Around Christmas time, a dealer in old maps, prints, and etchings would set up shop at the local mall. I found there an old map of the Laguna de Términos in Campeche. It may be a German copy of Jacques Nicolas Bellin’s map from the eighteenth century. I bought it because it shows the location of an Indian village, apparently named Usumacinta (see detail). I wonder if Dampier mentions it? He was living there not too long before the map would have been made, and of course the map may include details copied from earlier maps. Click on the images to enlarge them. I can provide a higher resolution scan if anyone needs it for research.

1 comment:

  1. I like your article and it really gives an outstanding idea that is very helpful for all the people on web.

    ReplyDelete